- * 1 pound flank steak
- * 2 red bell peppers
- * 1 cup canned straw mushrooms
- * 1/2 pound frozen broccoli
- * Marinade:
- * 2 tablespoons dry sherry or cooking sherry
- * 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- * 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- * 1 green onion, chopped
- * Other:
- * 1 clove garlic, chopped
- * 1/2 cup beef or chicken broth
- * 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- * 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- * 4 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed
Partially freeze the meat. Cut across the grain into slices.
Cut the red bell pepper in half. Remove the stem and seeds and cut into thin strips. Rinse the mushrooms under warm running water and slice. Thaw the frozen broccoli. Drain.
Combine the meat with the dry sherry, soy sauce, ginger and green onion. Marinate the meat for 20 minutes.
Heat a wok or frying pan and add 3 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir-fry briefly until fragrant. Add the sliced beef. Brown briefly, then stir-fry until it is nearly cooked through. Push up to the side of the wok.
Add 1 tablespoon oil in the middle of the wok. Add the broccoli. Stir-fry briefly, then add the mushrooms and the red pepper.
Add the beef broth and the cornstarch/water “slurry.” Turn up the heat and stir to thicken. Sprinkle the sugar over top. Mix everything together and serve hot with rice or noodles. Serves 4.