Cheesy Basil Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (see note)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, lowfat or regular
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine the shredded cheese, 2 tablespoons of the minced basil, cream, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cut a pocket in chicken breasts (like in this recipe), stuff with cheese mixture and seal, using a toothpick to help close the slit, if necessary. Transfer the stuffed breasts to 13 by 9 inch baking dish and spread tops evenly with mayonnaise.
- In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, remaining garlic, remaining fresh basil, and one tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle crumb mixture over chicken, pressing lightly to adhere.
- Toss tomatoes with remaining tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Arrange the tomatoes in the baking dish in and around the chicken. Bake until the crumbs are golden brown and the chicken is cooked through (registering 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer) about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.