- 2 medium-size boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (12 oz. total), cut into 3/4-inch chunks Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. olive oil
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 medium asparagus spears, ends trimmed, spears split down the middle and cut into 2-inch pieces (or 8 skinny spears cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 3 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 Tbs. water or homemade or low-salt canned chicken broth
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh basil
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 Tbs. of the oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes and asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have softened and the asparagus is golden brown around the edges, 2 to 3 min. Transfer to a medium bowl. Heat another 1 Tbs. oil in the pan and add the chicken. When the underside of the chicken has turned deep golden brown, (about 1 min.), turn it with a metal spatula. Turn occasionally for even browning until almost cooked through, 3 to 5 min. Add the chicken to the bowl of vegetables.
Reduce the heat to medium and heat the remaining 2 tsp. oil in the pan. Add the garlic, cooking until golden brown, 1 to 2 min. Add the water or broth and the lemon juice, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits in the pan and blend them into the sauce. Simmer for 3 min. Reduce the heat to medium low and stir in the butter. Stir in the chicken, asparagus, tomatoes, any juices, and the basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.