- 1 milliliter bottle white wine or 4 cups water
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 6 fresh sausage links, such as Italian-style or bratwurst (1 to 1 1/2 lb.)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 tablespoons fresh pineapple juice reserved from peeling, coring, and slicing pineapple
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cored, thickly sliced (1/2 to 3/4 inch) then cut in 2-inch chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon aleppo pepper or a pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- To poach sausages, in a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, stir together the wine or water, the 2 cups water, sugar, salt, and peppercorns. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat to keep liquid barely simmering; cook for 5 minutes. Add sausage links and cook, partially covered, for 10 minutes. Use a flat spatula to carefully remove sausages without piercing casings; set sausages aside.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add poached sausages. Slowly brown on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Carefully add pineapple juice to skillet (juices may spatter slightly). Increase heat to high. Cook, rolling sausages in skillet, until juice is thickened and sausages are well glazed. Transfer browned and glazed sausages to a warm platter.
- Add pineapple to skillet in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt. Aleppo pepper, and brown sugar. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, turning to coat and brown, until pineapple is hot and caramelized. Serve immediately with warm glazed sausages.
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves