- 3 pounds carrots, peeled
- 1 cup chicken stock or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Cut carrots into 3-by 1/2-inch sticks.
- Bring stock to a boil with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a 12-inch heavy skillet. Add carrots and simmer, covered, until just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and boil until most of liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Transfer carrots to a bowl and wipe out skillet.
- Cook shallots in butter with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden- brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add sage, thyme, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until very fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and return carrots to skillet, tossing to coat. Season with salt and pepper.