Beer-Glazed Sausage and Apples
- 12 ounce bottle Belgium-style wheat beer
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 14 ounce package smoked sausage, such as kielbasa, cut in 3-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium cooking apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 8 small sage leaves
- In a large saucepan combine 1/2 of the beer and the crushed red pepper; bring to boiling. Add sausage and green beans. Return to a simmer, cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter; add apples. Cook, turning occasionally, until apples are just tender. Transfer to a platter.
- Add sausage to skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides. Add to platter; cover. Drain fat from skillet.
- Carefully add remaining beer to skillet (mixture may foam); stir to scrape up browned bits. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, brown sugar, cider vinegar, and orange peel. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, 5 to 6 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return sausage and green beans to skillet to coat in glaze. Fold in apples. Return to serving platter. Sprinkle with sage. Makes 4 servings.